THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, September 17, 2011

My Journey to Where I am Now

October 19 will mark one year that I started college. I think back and realize that basically the journey to end up going after a college degree in Journalism and Mass Communications started in 2006. Though I have always been interested in getting a degree in Journalism I never really thought of pursuing it. But in 2006 I discovered Taylor Hicks on American Idol. At the time I didn’t really consider this a big deal. I had also voted for Carrie Underwood. However, with Taylor even after he won, I still followed him and wrote about what was going on with him. I then got the chance to interview him. That was not only very exciting for me; I also realized I loved doing that type of thing. (Interviewing Musicians) I started contacting other musicians and requesting to interview them. From Bucky Covington, Chubby Checker, Trace Adkins, Kevin Bacon, Luke Bryan, Casey James, to independent and sometimes lesser known musicians such as Judd Starr.

One thing I realized is that I really thought they needed more promotion than they were getting. I always focus on the good; I don’t care to dig up dirt on them. So then I started realizing not only did I enjoy writing about them, but I very much enjoyed being able to promote them and introduce them to more people who would support them.

Last year I was trying to figure out how I could best do that and I realized that even though I had a huge passion to do this and some knowledge on how to do it. I needed an education to learn more. So I searched for colleges that offered classes that would allow me to write, and or be a publicist.

I discovered Ashford University and after speaking with them I realized Journalism and Mass Communications would give me the tools I need to become a better writer, and hopefully when it is done to ultimately become a music publicist. I have very much enjoyed this first year, and I feel like I have learned a lot already, especially the ethical side of journalism.

I cannot wait to finish my degree and get on with the next phase of my life. This whole journey started by watching a gray hair guy on television, who captured my attention, and made me realize that we can all see our dreams come true if we just reach out for them.

0 comments: